Thursday, May 28, 2009

I'm So Hood

I'm so hood, I wear my pants below my waist and its comfortable. Yea my jeans are too tight for me that's why I pull them down. I blend in with everyone else. And I struggle. My world is only about money, and I'm pressured to get it. And I stay cursing. I speak bad grammar and don't want to achieve. Don't look at me directly in my face. Why you looking at me that way? I'll beat you up. Oh yea, I'll kill you, you know why, because I'm so hood. I love not having money or system that would give my room to earn it. I love going to the worst schools with adequate security but inadequate teachers and supplies. Of course housing is horrible. Of course no one around me wants to do any good. All we want to do is nothing, we're all up to no good.



Did any of that apply to you? I did not think so.

This image of what's hood and what's not needs to be set straight. American media has always glorified beauty in taking part in illegal business. Whether its John Wayne and his cowboy movies (cause by definition, those people were terrorists), or Antonio Montana in Scarface, its cool to be bad.

Hood is short for neighborhood, so of course it is going to be different for people from different places. How can there be a standard, for something, that has no fixed variable? It's like saying that the only intelligent people are the ones that have a high ability to do math. But what if that person cannot spell, then are they intelligent? NO. The reason being is that by measuring intelligence with only one skill undermines everything that makes humans, human. We are not all numerical calculators. So there is going to be different hoods, with different types, and different expectations.

And that's cool. How cool is it to say that you are alive? You could be from a bad neighborhood with loads of crime, it still does not determine who you are as an individual. Yes it does determine what you are exposed to, however, you can choose to be different, and to be you. There is no doubt that it's hard. It more than just adversity. Adversity can be overcome, one challenge at a time. Its cultural. There is a culture of failure that is self-manifested with urban low-income neighborhoods.

Moving forward. What qualifies as hood could be changed? Hood should just be where you are from. It could be your town or your individual neighborhood. Kudos be given to people who came from a bad neighborhood and became a success. Making hood be where you are from would remove any connotations that come with the term. So longer would it be hood to dress a certain way, moreover hood would just represent where you are from.

So instead of saying, I'm so hood because I wear my pants below waist. You could say I'm so hood and that I come from a situation in which I should not succeed, but I did and will succeed.


Words Of Wisdom - 2PAC

Youtube the 2pac song, if you don't have an imeem account, its worth it

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. But I don't think you're handling this problem the right way.

    Gangster rappers are a part of the group that 'made it' out of the 'hood, and are trying to inspire others from the 'hood to do likewise. They think (or publicly think, whichever sounds better) that sending this message that respect, courage, and savvy (among other things) are the only tools that you need to escape the slums will actually work.

    Instead of criticizing them (I know that it is VERY tempting), try to send out the message that education is also key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I wasn't trying to criticize the rappers because I think they're just following suit and just rapping about what they know. I was more trying to work at the term because it applies to the people who use it. Its a word we use but haven't set a definition in stone, and that goes with most slang.

    Next time, I'mma try and make my point clearer

    ReplyDelete